Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My Goodwill Finds

I wasn’t going to post about this project because I’m not entirely pleased with it, but I figured that’s no reason not to share.

Over the past few months, I’ve seen several bloggers who’ve made a cute little cloche out of a cheese dome and candlestick.  My favorite is at House of Hepworths – I love it!  I’ve been wanting to make one myself for forever, but I’ve not seen a cheese dome at Goodwill at all (despite the fact that other Goodwill locations are apparently swimming in them).

The other day, I was at Goodwill, killing time before my hair cut when what did I see in front of me, but a cheese dome!  Once faced with the cheese dome of my dreams, I wasn’t entirely sure what I would do with the cloche, but I so wanted to make one that I grabbed it and went in search of a candlestick.  I figured if I didn’t like it, I could always give it to a friend. 

The search for the candlestick was not quite so fruitful, but I wanted to do this project NOW, so I grabbed the best option and headed for the checkout.

DSC_1400-2

Well, first I also grabbed these little cuties (I knew exactly what I would use these for):

DSC_1410-2

Of course, the only spray paint colors I had in my house were bright white, red, and royal blue.  Not really what I was going for.  I went to several places to find this Heirloom White that everyone raves about, but I. Could. Not. Find. It! Urgghh!

Finally, I found the color at my local hardware store, but they only had it in satin and I wanted gloss (although now I wonder why).  I decided to go for the finish I want in a different color and chose Porcelain (I also grabbed some black while I was at it).

Once home, I got straight to work.  Before I show you the end, though, you really have to see the before even closer.  Don’tcha just love the design on the bottom?

DSC_1401-2

I do actually kind of like the detailing  on the candlestick, though:

DSC_1402-2

I used Gorilla Glue to glue the base of the dome to the candlestick, then used my flour jar to hold it down while the glue dried.  This is an interesting look:

DSC_1408-2

Once dry, I sprayed the whole thing with primer and several coats of the Porcelain paint and this is what I ended up with:

DSC_1412-2 DSC_1421-2

I can’t decide if I actually like the color.  I think it may be a little too yellow for me and I really like the black of my inspiration piece, so I’m still waffling over whether this is done.  My friend was over the other day and said it was cute (with no prompting from me!), so maybe I’ll keep it this way.

While I was spraying the cloche, I also took the black paint to the little white pots and this is how they turned out:

DSC_1427-2

4 comments:

  1. Great job! I love it all! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it- I have added a few plates-dome lids to candlesticks and used them for cookie displays at my shoppe- Great Minds think a like.
    Great Blog- just became a follower
    Karryann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an older post, but I have been pouring over your blog for an hour now and came across it... I love the way it turned out! but if you feel like it isnt *quite* done, you can always lightly sand it- for a bit of a distressed look...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails